The Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool -Actual (ABWRET-A) is a standardized method for assessing the important natural functions performed by all types of Alberta wetlands using both field and spatial data. Use of the ABWRET method is required by the Government of Alberta’s Wetland Policy, when Water Act approval is sought and wetlands will be permanently impacted.
A strong understanding of the ABWRET-A tool is required at three stages and sign-off points in the Alberta Water Act approval process for wetlands:
- Pre-disturbance Stage as part of the Wetland Assessment & Impact Report (WAIR),
- Restoration Design Stage as part of the Wetland Restoration Plan, and
- Final Verification Stage as part of the Verification Report.
SALMTEC has designed this course to provide participants with a strong understanding of the Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool Actual (ABWRET-A). This course targets an intermediate audience with some experience working in natural sciences. The course is primarily instructed by Dr. Paul Adamus, the creator of the wetland evaluation tool, who lends his voice, experience and knowledge to this intensive online course.
This course has eight learning modules and consists of online, offline and interactive components, as follows:
- One to five online instruction elements per module (25 in total)
- One to five online quizzes per module
- Four offline activities
- One 2.5-hour online interactive class
- One final online exam
This course takes between 21 to 24 hours to complete, and you can start immediately upon registration!
You must have all online material completed prior to attending the interactive class.
The next scheduled class will be on April 26, 2024 from 12pm to 2:30pm MST.
Students have until end of Fall 2025 (December 2025) to complete this course.
Online instruction by the creator of ABWRET-A, Dr. Paul Adamus
Interactive class instructor: Laurie Hamilton, M.Sc.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Learners will understand the context for using ABWRET-A (green and white areas)
- Learners will understand the methods used to create ABWRET-A
- Learners will understand the basic theory behind the wetland functions
- Learners will receive an in-depth understanding of ABWRET-A indicators and wetland functional models
- Learners will understand the process of submitting ABWRET-A
- Learners will understand how to interpret the ABWRET-A results