ABWRET-A Blended Course (F23)
Next Interactive Class: Fri. Dec. 8/23 (12pm)
Course Fee: $400 (plus GST)
ABWRET-A, or the Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool-Actual is a standardized method for assessing the important natural functions performed by all types of Alberta wetlands using both field and spatial data.
Designed for Wetland Practitioners & Regulators
Use of the ABWRET method is required by the Government of Alberta’s Wetland Policy, when Water Act approval is sought and wetlands will be permanently impacted. A strong understanding of the ABWRET-A tool is required at three stages and sign-off points in the Alberta Water Act approval process for wetlands:
- Pre-disturbance Stage as part of the Wetland Assessment & Impact Report (WAIR),
- Restoration Design Stage as part of the Wetland Restoration Plan, and
- Final Verification Stage as part of the Verification Report.
SALMTEC has designed this course to provide participants with a strong understanding of the Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool-Actual (ABWRET-A). This course targets an intermediate audience with some experience working in natural sciences. The course is primarily instructed by Dr. Paul Adamus, the creator of the wetland evaluation tool, who lends his voice, experience and knowledge to this intensive online course.
This course has eight learning modules and consists of online, offline and interactive components, as follows:
- One to five online instruction elements per module (25 in total)
- One to five online quizzes per module
- Four offline activities
- One 2.5-hour online interactive class
- One final online exam
- Context for using ABWRET-A
- Methods used to create ABWRET-A
- Basic theory behind the wetland functions
- ABWRET-A indicators
- Wetland functional models
- Submission of ABWRET-A
- Interpretation of the ABWRET-A results
Online instruction: Dr. Paul Adamus (creator of ABWRET-A) & Laurie Hamilton, M.Sc.
Interactive class instructor: Laurie Hamilton, C.E.T., P Biol
This course takes between 21 to 24 hours to complete, and you can start immediately upon registration!
- Students must have all online material completed prior to attending class
- The next scheduled class will be on December 8, 2023 from 12pm to 2:30pm
Students have until end of Winter 2025 (April 2025) to complete this course.